Saturday, August 12, 2006

IDEA CANNIBALISM

Today I am pondering idea-cannibalism on the web. Is there really nothing new left to write about?

I read about the site Boing Boing: A Directory of Wonderful Things on my brother-in-law's blog SixtyPercent. On Boing-Boing I read about the Sony Brevia Ad. On the Sony Site I downloaded the ad. Later that week I read a blog called Lornamatic where she said she just couldn't stop watching the video. I, also, could not stop watching those damn balls. Then I realized I had fallen in love with the song and had to find out who it was (Jose Gonzalez) and then craving more, I watched the "making of" video and found out that the song Heartbeats was a cover of a song by the same name by The Knife, and so of course, I had to download that song (I like it). By now, my head was bouncing, but there's more!

The following week I heard a story on NPR about advertising challenges in a high-tech world and specifically...about the end of the 30-second spot. What to do, what to do? The author suggested that marketing folks were going to have to get creative to find a new way, for example, they said, look to the success of the Sony Brevia Ad. In that case they could even count the downloads, and they didn't have to PAY for the 30-second spot!


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: